Pre-file & Pre-discharge
Both pre-file counseling and pre-discharge education is available through online courses. They are affordable, convenient, and simple to complete. You may take the courses 24/7 from any computer.
If you plan to file bankruptcy, federal law requires you to complete pre-file bankruptcy counseling before you file and pre-discharge education after you file in order to have your debts discharged. CCCSMD is a U.S. Trustee-approved, non-profit credit counseling agency able to issue the certificates showing that you completed both requirements. CCCSMD is approved by the Executive Office for United States Trustees (EOUST) to provide bankruptcy counseling and education in all states except Alabama, North Carolina, and Rhode Island.
Online Pre-file Bankruptcy Counseling
If you have already completed pre-file bankruptcy counseling and have your bankruptcy case number, see pre-discharge education below.
- The online course has a one-time fee of $19.95 for an individual or $29.95 for a couple, and includes a brief call with one of CCCSMD’s certified Financial Advocates.
- When you have completed the pre-file bankruptcy counseling, you will receive the certificate that is required to file bankruptcy. The certificate is good for 180 days.
- CCCSMD can issue certificates only if you file bankruptcy in a Judicial District in a state where CCCSMD is approved.
Online Pre-discharge Bankruptcy Education
To enroll in CCCSMD’s pre-discharge bankruptcy education, you must have completed the following steps.
- You have completed a pre-file bankruptcy counseling session through an approved counseling agency and received a certificate. If you have not, you must make an appointment for pre-file bankruptcy counseling before you can enroll in pre-discharge bankruptcy education.
- You have filed bankruptcy in a Judicial District in a state in which CCCSMD is approved (all states except Alabama, North Carolina, and Rhode Island).
- You have your bankruptcy case number.
- The online course has a fee of $14.95 for an individual or $19.95 for a couple.
- In limited circumstances, you may be eligible to have this fee reduced or waived. Individuals with household income under 150 percent of the poverty guideline for their applicable family size as published in the Federal Poverty Guidelines may be entitled to a fee waiver. The agency will provide services regardless of the client’s ability to pay.
- If you meet all of the above criteria, you may enroll in CCCSMD’s pre-discharge bankruptcy education class.
After Pre-discharge Bankruptcy Education
- You or your attorney is responsible for filing your certificate with the court. CCCSMD does not file certificates or represent you in court.
CCCSMD is approved to issue certificates evidencing completion of pre-file counseling and pre-discharge education in compliance with the Bankruptcy Code. Approval does not endorse or assure the quality of a Provider’s other services.