Last Updated Date: October 19, 2020
(1) Active Collection
We collect and store PII from you directly, at the time you supply information to us via the Sites. If you do not want CCCSMD to collect your PII, please do not provide it to us. The information we actively collect from you may include:
- Email address, first and last names, telephone number, and address information if you provide it via the Sites, such as to sign up for services or an account;
- Email address, first and last names, telephone number, and address information if you donate to CCCSMD via the Sites;
- First and last name, date of birth and email address if you choose to participate in in-person workshops or web-based workshops;
- Financial information, such as your total debt information, income, living expenses and PII concerning your financial circumstances;
- Demographic information such as your gender, age, zip code and interests, which you voluntarily provide to us on the Sites. We may use this information to analyze trends to ensure the information provided by the Sites meets your needs; and
- First and last name, telephone number, and email address if you contact us with a question.
(2) Passive Collection
We may collect information passively while you are visiting or interacting with the Sites. We call this “passive” collection because you may not know this information is being collected. The information we passively collect from you may include:
- Internet Protocol (IP) address – Your IP address is a number that lets computers attached to the Internet know where to send you data — such as the webpages you view. We may use this information to deliver our webpages to you upon request.
- Cookie – A “cookie” is a small text file that may be used to collect information about your activity on the Sites. For example, when someone visits a page within the Sites, a cookie may be placed on the user’s machine (if the user accepts cookies) or may be read if the user has visited the Sites previously. You may set most browsers to notify you if you receive a cookie, or you may choose to block cookies with your browser. Please see our section titled “Cookies” below for more information.
- Web Beacons (also known as “clear gifs,” “web bugs” or “pixel tags”) – “Web Beacons” are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to count users who have visited certain pages of the Sites. When used in HTML-formatted email messages, web beacons can tell the sender whether and when the email has been opened. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, web beacons are embedded invisibly on web pages.
- We also use Facebook Analytics to measure your use of our Sites, tailor our Sites to your interests, and improve our products and services. Please note, Facebook can connect this data with your Facebook account and use it for its own advertising purposes, in accordance with Facebook’s Data Policy which can be found at https://facebook.com/about/privacy/. Please click here if you would like to withdraw your consent.
How We Use Information Collected via the Sites
We use PII that is collected on these Sites primarily for the following purposes:
- To complete a transaction or service requested by you;
- To notify you about services that may be of interest to you;
- To contact you in response to sign up forms; or
- As otherwise disclosed at the time of collection.
How We Share the Information Collected via the Sites
We may share or disclose your PII in the following instances:
- To fulfill a service to you. For example, if you email us a question, we may use your email address to process your request and respond to your question. As another example, if you authorize us, your PII will be provided to creditors and others to fulfill your requested services.
- To unaffiliated third-party service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain our Sites and provide other administrative services to us (including, but not limited to, order processing and fulfillment, hosting and website content management system services, and maintaining and analyzing data). Because such unaffiliated third-party service providers that help us administer our Sites may have access to users’ PII, if you do not wish for our unaffiliated third-party service providers to have access to your information, please do not submit any PII to us.
- To comply with the law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on us, protect and defend our rights or property, including the rights and property of CCCSMD and its Sites, or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users.
- To protect against potential fraud, we may verify with third parties the information collected from these Sites. In the course of such verification, we may receive PII about you from such services.
International Transfer of Information
We may communicate with users of the Sites who subscribe to services we offer on a regular basis via email. For example, we may use your email address to confirm your request, to send you notice of payments, to send you information about changes to our services, and to send notices and other disclosures as required by law. Generally, users cannot opt-out of these communications, but they will be primarily informational in nature rather than promotional. However, we provide you the opportunity to exercise an opt-out choice if you do not want to receive other types of communication from us, such as emails or updates from us regarding new services offered on the Sites. The opt-out choice may be exercised by ticking or un-ticking the appropriate box if such checkbox is available at the points where PII is collected or by contacting us. We will process your unsubscribe as soon as possible, but please be aware that in some circumstances you may receive a few more messages until the unsubscribe is processed. You also may opt-out of receiving such emails by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link within the text of the email.
Third Party Websites
CCCSMD is conscious of the security concerns of our clients. The online budget section is available through the use of a secure server. The secure server software encrypts the information you input before it is sent to us. The budget information we collect is protected from unauthorized access and will only be used for counseling purposes. We assure you that all information shared both orally and in writing will be managed within legal and ethical considerations. Your personal financial information, such as your total debt information, income, living expenses and personal information concerning your financial circumstances will be provided to your creditors and possibly others with your specific authorization. We may also use aggregated case file information for the purpose of evaluating our services, gathering valuable research information and designing future programs. Your anonymity will be maintained through the use of your client number or by using aggregate data in all circumstances. In all other situations, your information may be released to appropriate individuals or agencies ONLY UPON YOUR WRITTEN REQUEST OR when our staff has been served by a valid subpoena. If you create an account or register on our Sites, you are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password at all times.
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you understand that any information that you transfer to CCCSMD is done at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make reasonable efforts to ensure security on our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such firewalls and secure server software. If we learn of a security systems breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using the Sites or providing PII to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of these Sites. We may post a notice on our Sites if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
Your California Privacy Rights and How We Respond to Do Not Track Requests
The “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) privacy preference is an option that may be made in some web browsers allowing you to opt-out of tracking by websites and online services. At this time, global standard DNT technology is not yet finalized and not all browsers support DNT. We therefore do not recognize DNT signals and do not respond to them.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of PII to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. We do not disclose PII to third parties for their direct marketing purposes
The Sites are not intended for use by persons under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, please do not use the Sites unless you have appropriate consent.
6315 Hillside Court, Suite B,
Columbia MD 21046